Tuesday, December 11, 2007

"Ahh, the power of cheese"

The Second Tradition of Christmas

We are all aware it's a common Christmas tradition to leave out a glass of milk and a plate of holiday cookies for Santa Claus (and of course, carrots for his reindeer) on Christmas Eve.

But does anyone remember The American Dairy Association's "Power of Cheese" commercials? I'd like to refer to one in particular, in which a young girl wakes up on Christmas morning to find her living room littered with expensive gifts - a car, a jet ski, a motorcycle, a train set, a doll house, etc. When asked by her parents what kind of cookies she left Santa the night before, she replies, grinning, "I didn't leave him cookies. I left him cheese."

A few years ago, my oldest sister, Adrienne and I thought it would be clever to follow the little girl's example. We arranged a fine assortment of cheeses - mozzarella, feta, cheddar, bleu, brie, good ole American - and displayed it on the coffee table on Christmas Eve. Our parents were thoroughly amused.

I encourage you to try this fun, adult upgrade to a primarily child-based Christmas tradition. Maybe this year we'll leave a bottle of Chardonnay and a couple of wine glasses instead of a glass of milk as well ...

"Ahh, the power of cheese."

1 comment:

Unknown said...

My favorite "Power of Cheese" commercial was the one that the guy was ice fishing when he spots a tray of cheesethat the fish were trying to catch something.. Wish I could find that one some where