Monday, April 28, 2008

Advantages of the Social Media Release: A Podcast

It's finally done! After fiddling around with microphones, Audacity, a mess of hosting sites, and with some much-appreciated guidance from James Connors, the podcast is up!

Using a witty (and possibly strange) example, this podcast highlights and explains the advantages of using a social media release rather than a traditional news release.



This was a group project assignment completed for my New Media and PR class. Yes, that's my voice. Enjoy, and let us know what you think!

5 comments:

Todd Ramsey said...

Pamela, I think you've got some good info here, but you sound a little scripted. Loosen up a bit, make it more conversational and casual.

That said, it was for a class project so I understand your desire to make it professional. So take the above with a grain of salt...

Anonymous said...

I would echo Todd's comments.

I liked the structure and pacing of your articles. It didn't feel rushed or too forced but I could tell you were reading off a script. Maybe go with notes and a few key lines to drive the message?

Something that good podcasts include are ways to contact the host, email addresses, website urls, and voicemail numbers. This is what social media and engagement is all about - getting the audience involved. Just my thoughts!

James Connors
http://www.collegetechcentral.com

pamelump said...

Thanks for the input! I thought about including contact info, but because this will not being an ongoing podcast since it was a group assignment, I didn't think it made sense.

I'll definitely keep that "scripted-sounding" advice in mind though ;)

Anonymous said...

Hey Pamela! I found this to be REALLY informative. I've always heard about "social media release" but never really knew exactly what it meant. Great job fleshing it out and making it relevant! I've del.icio.us-ed and Stumbled it =)

I agree with the "reading of a script" point, but hey it's for school and personally it's not a big deal.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who wouldn't mind more episodes!

Unknown said...

I liked it, and thank you very much for the kind words!